17 April 2007

No excuses

Cook recruiting poster
This recruitment poster came pretty directly out of some email exchanges with an interested student who was worried about whether she could devote enough time to the program because she worked. So I told her that the REU positions were not just honorary things, but that they pay -- and pays pretty darn well.

I had been trying to focus more on other benefits to being in the program besides just the paycheque -- oops, translation to American -- paycheck. There were several reasons for that. One of which was that I didn't want it to appear that I was trying to undercut some other research programs, because the REU actually pays more over the whole program (But students work longer in the program, too.)

But the conversation reminded me that for a lot of our students, the money is a big factor.

No comments: